Wednesday, April 7, 2010

F is for Food



Food is my friend, but not always.  Sometimes my friend gets me into trouble. Friends are supposed to be helpful and nice, but food can be the exact opposite sometimes. I love food, whether it is a hamburger and fries, or tacos and burritos, or even some of mom’s homemade lasagna. It doesn’t really matter, I just love food.



For those of you who read my blog even semi-regularly, you know that I am on a weight loss journey. I am learning how to eat the proper portion sizes, and what 1500 calories actually look like, and also how food does not have to be my enemy. Earlier I said that food doesn’t always behave like my friend, this is what I meant by that. I eat for a myriad of reasons. For example, when I’m sad I eat, when I’m mad I eat, when I’m happy, sick, and sometimes even hungry I eat. I don’t know about you but in my house with 4 kids, there is a lot of food to choose from. I have no willpower, if it is here, I will eat it. That is why food is not always my friend.


BUT…


I have learned this last month or so that I can live and even feel good on 1500 calories. Amazing, isn’t it! I don’t crave the doughnuts or pizza as much as I once did. I love salad and chicken with Paul Newman’s low fat Sesame Ginger dressing, as well as fruit and milk and cheese. Food is good; you just have to know what a serving size is and how much you should eat for your body to lose weight or to stay the same. I have had pizza night as well as Easter dinner with homemade rolls and still lost 2 lbs…this system works, you just have to know how to work it! Finally I am getting the hang of this eating to live thing and I am very happy knowing I don’t have to live in bondage to food. I want my new motto to be…I Eat to live, not live to eat. Have a blessed day ya’ll, I’m off to have me a salad.

Don't forget to go over to tossing it out and have a look around at all the others in this wonderful challenge, there are a lot of very talented writers to look through on Arlee Bird's sidebar.

12 comments:

Rae said...

I hear ya', Sista!!! lol
Food is usually tempting or torturous and always makes my butt look big!
I have another blog about my weight loss journey titled "Finding Thin". Needless to say, I never found it!
Great "F" post!

Jessica Bell said...

Right! I'm following now :) Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog :)

Ah yes, I do a similar salad, with all grated ingredients, but I put garlic and yogurt dressing on. Yummy!

♥ Brittany Ciara ♥ said...

I'm so glad you are keeping up with this! :P Can't wait to see what you choose for G.

Lisa said...

Good for you for learning to eat to live and not the other way around. It's hard because food just tastes SO good! My struggle is sweets, but with God's help, I'm working on that.

F for Food is always good -- great post! :)

Lisa

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like food as well, so I have to watch what I consume. I'm a guy - you put food in front of me, I'll eat it!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I've been doing the Paul McKenna
I Can Make You Thin. I did it a couple of years ago and lost the weight I wanted to lose, then I moved back to the UK and circumstances I caused me to pile the pounds on again, I do much walking and excercises but it's quite stubbourn, loved the blog.
Take care.
Yvonne,

B. Miller said...

Good luck in your weight loss journey! Congratulations on being brave enough to share it with the world. Keep it up!

Trevor Peck said...

Feed on the Word!!

Love in the Truth.

Grammy said...

Hi, Shanan, Good for you. Kudos on the determination to lose weight and doing it by eating correctly!
I know how difficult it is. I'm rooting for your success!
Ruby

curllynaptress said...

Eat to live, that sounds so simple but in practice, can be so difficult. I pray you master it, my best to you!

Arlee Bird said...

I don't really like food....yeah right! I eat to live but I love to eat.
Lee
Blogging From A to Z April Challenge

Ella said...

Wow, I, too love food, but it is wonderful you aren't in bondage with food and have a new mantra to live by. It is a great one...they say a lot of us dig our graves with our fork...isn't that awful, makes you think. Food is fuel, that is it...
it taste great sometimes, sometimes not. Deprivation only makes things worse. A taste is better than not, but sometimes it is hard. Remember we are human...if you over eat, go
exercise after, eat less the next day. Try not to punish yourself!
(((hugs)))

Related Posts with Thumbnails