Monday, April 5, 2010

D is for Dum, da, dum, dum, dummmmmm…Drama

What is it about teens and drama? I have 3 teens and there is always some drama with at least one of them. And…They…Are…Boys. Yes, you heard me right, boys, all of them. I only have one daughter, she is 9, and her drama has already started, but that is another story for another time.


Drama is defined as…any situation or series of events having vivid, emotional, conflicting, or striking interest or results, as well as the quality of being dramatic. Well yes that about sums it up doesn’t it!


My boys can be involved in any number of dramas at any given time. For instance, one of my boys is friends with mostly girls…shocker huh, and he will come home and share the drama of the day from school. So and so said this, and then so and so did this, mom it was so frustrating, I just wanted to do this….etc, etc, etc. This one likes to think he is a ninja and will often say things like this. If I was so and so, I would jump up and do a blah, blah, blah type move on them that would totally take them out!


Then we have another type of drama, it is usually centered around L, who happens to be a girl and a member of our family. My oldest son is best friends to his 1st cousin L, they were born 6 weeks apart, and are like 2 peas in a pod, and L will call and tell my son all about some guy she likes this week. This will inevitably lead to a barrage of questions, like, who is he, where does he go to school, is he involved in church…etc. Then about a week later another phone call ensues to tell my son that this boy did something to make L mad and now L doesn’t like him anymore. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!


The other type of drama we have around here is Laundry, Dishes, and Dog duty, this is usually because the boys have not done their jobs well. Yes my boys do the dishes, laundry and dog duty; it has been a requirement since mom got sick 9 years ago. I do help out with other chores, especially now that I am in remission and getting my energy back.


This type of drama is extremely frustrating to me as a mother. Here are some of the things they will say to me. Dish son will say, Mom do I have to do the dishes right after dinner? My thoughts on this are, yes or it will be harder to get them clean. Then we have this statement…No, I did not do any laundry this last week. Essentially laundry son is telling me that we don’t have any clean clothes to wear for the week. And then there is this one from dog duty son…Do I have to take care of the dogs, I’m so tired, make someone else do it. This one will usually bring out the “You wanted to get the dogs, they come with responsibilities” speech.


When any of them say these lovely tid-bits it is usually followed by “Do it, or deal with Dad.” Needless to say the dishes, laundry and dog duty get done when I pull out the Dad card. When my daughter gets a little bit older, as in 3 yrs, I will have a whole new drama to deal with…eek, I’m not sure I can do it…I’m so scared...I see dead people. Mmmmkay, I’m done ranting, blessings to ya’ll on this fine April day.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I have two sons (in their early 20s now) and a nine year old daughter. I can relate to the drama. Last year, both sons were gone, one in school, and one at a job in another state. Can I say how peaceful life was? Now they're back and grr...some days.

Lisa said...

LOL - great post Shannon! I have two sons one a teen and the other in his early twenties. Thankfully, I don't deal with any drama from either of them. I do however struggle on a daily basis to get my 17-year-old to do his chores, etc. He is SO lazy!

Anyhoo -- I hope you have a blessed day and that the drama lessens.

Hugs,
Lisa

Gregg Metcalf said...

Sorry, can't help ya! I never had any sons, just four drama queens, oops I meant four daughters.

Let me tell ya something, Shannon is now 36 and Stacy is 28, the drama doesn't end. Don't know if it ever ends for boys. Let me know will ya?

Hope you had a great weekend with your family!!!!!!

Arlee Bird said...

I usually relate the drama to the girls-- I had four of them, now grown, but they could make things pretty dramatic around the house. Now when I was a teenager--maybe it was because I had very little social life--my feelings were very internalized. I used to tease my mother and sister that they were a soap opera because they would get so dramatic at times.

A post that I am sure many will relate to.
Le

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Boy drama is a new one! Thanks for reminding me why I don't have kids...

Grammy said...

Hey there, Shannon!
Thanks for following my blog! I really enjoyed your posting about your sons and daughter. My daughter, Carol, who lives in Texas, could really relate to you because, Like you, she has 3 sons and one daughter. Her daughter is the youngest, also. Her two oldest sons are married with children, and the youngest son will be getting married next month. The daughter just finished University and is now employed. Keep strong, you will get through it all in due time.
Best regards to you,
Ruby

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I have 2 sons and a daughter, there were always the small dramas from time to time but saying that they have all turned out fine and as any mother am proud of them.
They are all different in their outlooks but life would be dull if we were all the same.

Enjoyed your write very much.
Yvonne.

♥ Brittany Ciara ♥ said...

Oh the drama. The drama. Sorry to say it, but us teens revolve around drama. Even though I try my best to avoid it, it catches up with me. :( The drama stage will be over soon. God bless!

♥ Brittany Ciara ♥ said...

Oh the drama. The drama. Sorry to say it, but us teens revolve around drama. Even though I try my best to avoid it, it catches up with me. :( The drama stage will be over soon. God bless!

Blah said...

I suspect that there are some people out there who never grow out of this "drama stage". I used to have a friend who couldn't do *anything* with out it turning into some huge crazy melodrama - and she was well into her 30's.

Sad to say, but it was a very draining relationship and not one that I miss all that much.

:(

unnamed lad said...

my duty was to take care of the stoves. volunteered to prove i could do it as well as big brother

unnamed lad said...

the drama i gave my parents was a police car in the driveway

Related Posts with Thumbnails