Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sandman where are you?

Have you ever had one of those nights where you couldn't sleep, because your mind would not shut up!  Well that is what is happening tonight.  I need to sleep but cannot, and I have to get up in about 6 hours.  For me, 8-9 hours is optimal, not 6. Grrr...So I guess I am going to blog about the night I had with my Children click this link to see my oldest.

 http://wwwkinggeorge.blogspot.com/  (He just started putting his blog together)  The picture to the right shows all of them (last summer) together. 

Tonight we had a little talk about respect and how "not" to speak to mom.  Now my kids are all wonderful children, and I will be the first to tell you that tid-bit, but they do have their moments.  Tonight was chocked full of irritating and disrespectful moments for three of them, but not for the one with the mohawk.  He was in rare form (the funny kind) tonight. That is the thing about mohawk boy (jesse), he is always making me laugh hysterically.  If I had to describe him, I would say he is what a hug feels like.  Anyhoo I am rambling...back to the point.

We had a sit down-shut-up-and listen talk, or what I like to call a lecture, on how you should and should not speak to your parents.  (Especially when "you, George" the offender are talking to someone on the phone.) Not cool!  I have worked hard to raise godly young men and a godly young girl, and then (here goes the blaming bit) the public school atmosphere goes and tromps all over my effort.  I hate that!  Now before you get all mad at me, I am not (per se) blaming the public school system...no, I am pointing fingers at the atmosphere in which my children are immersed in for 6 hours a day.  My husband and I are not rich and so we cannot afford to home school, so that is out of the question right off the bat.

This issue has led to many a discussion, and now that my High Schooler (who thinks he is much wiser than mom or dad, but is really a great kid) knows that the system is behind him and is teaching him to be independent and to think for himself, well let's just say we get into it more often than not. He knows what the Bible says about "Children obey your parents" yet he also has the conflicting thoughts the schools atmosphere puts into his sponge of a mind, that say "You are your own person"  "You don't need mom and dad"  "Don't listen to what the Bible says, it's archaic, it isn't relevent to now"  Now I know the teachers are not out there telling children to stop listening to their parents, that is not at all what I am saying. I just get frustrated at what the "world" is teaching my children while they are in school.

So since he has become a teenager we have had many a sit down-shut-up and listen, discussion, lecture or whatever you want to call it. It has also led to a plethura of good, and even funny get to know you better talks. This is true for the other teens too, they are dealing with the whole middle school syndrome and that has been interesting, if not frightening, at times.  Now my girl, she is a whole different story, she is the only girl sibling and her brothers all helped to spoil her (but not rotten)...now they are paying the price, and so are mom and dad! 


 This is a picture of her with her pal weenie dog...see below.  Her problem is that she has a hard time focusing on what mom is asking her to do...and was told tonight in no uncertain terms to stop it or else! Really there was more, but it would take to long to explain and my neck is killing me...So, that led to reading the Word of God by candle light! Very nice indeed..and of course this led to more discussion...which somehow led to questions about how to write html...but that is another story for another time...and I am off to try, again, to summon the sandman....for now I will say goodnight, God bless and keep you safe, and as always when you are finished reading please leave your comment, I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to say.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

This was a really interesting post to read. As a former public school teacher, I obviously stand behind public education, but I also recognize that it's far from perfect. I do NOT think it's okay for a school to tell students to dismiss the Bible, and I could even argue that doing so goes against the separation clause. That said, though, it's imperative we teach our kids to be independent thinkers so that they're prepared to deal with the real world. I've seen first-hand how students can learn to think for themselves without turning their backs on their upbringing. The key is reinforcement at home, which it sounds like you do, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Middle and high school are trying years (I don't know how my mother survived me), but I'm sure you'll make it through. Good luck!

Cheryl Denise said...

wow, I was a horrible teen. I couldn't understand myself and certainly not an adult. I wonder sometimes how my parents stood me. I think all teens think they know more than mom & dad. till they really grow up then we aren't so dumb after all. it takes lots of prayer.

Unknown said...

We call those meetings, "come to Jesus" meetings in our house! And let me say I can sympathize with the lack of money to home school/Christian school and the frustrations of public schools.

Out of all of our children I guess we have it pretty lucky with good teachers...but our 6 year old in first grade has begun telling us we don't know what we are talking about because, "teacher does it different than you! and she is right!" Oy vay!

Thanks for stopping by my blog btw! I'll be checking around yours some more! Bless you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails