Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Cherry Tree By Ellen Bailey


~My Cherry Tree by Ellen Bailey~


I sat watching the birds in my cherry tree
There were so many they out-numbered the leaves
They would flint and flutter and fly all about
Stuffing my cherries in their little mouths



There were bluebirds and redbirds and sparrows
They had come to my tree for the fruit to borrow
They made a lot of noise and were happy as can be
I began to doubt if there would be any left for me



I planted that tree and nurtured it from seed
I watered and pruned it as often was the need
I toiled and labored to protect it from the cold
I was raising prized cherries, or so I was told



But these feathered friends thought not of me
They kept nibbling and gobbling on my cherries
"Stop", I shouted, "and leave that tree"
"You have taken more cherries than you need"



My pleading cries went unheeded
Then I realized just what I needed
I rush to my neighbor's house for a chat
And returned to my cherry tree and sat
With my new found friend, the neighbor's cat


I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I feel it not. I believe in God even when He is silent. *Written on a wall in a concentration camp*

post signature

4 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A beautiful poem and a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne.


Shannon I thought i would create a blog today completely different from poetry, however I deleted it but the other blog name appears on my comments, have you any idea how to correct the situation?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Teach those birds!

Ella said...

very nice; glad you shared this!
Great photo~

Related Posts with Thumbnails